Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My experiences with educational technology growing up

When I was a child, we learned how to type and use different programs on the computer.  In elementary school, I remember using this fun program where we created stories.  I really enjoyed that program but I do not remember what it was called.  I also enjoyed playing math games.  I found them very useful in practicing basic concepts as well as entertaining.  In middle and high school we learned how to conduct research on the internet as well as how to use Excel.  Other than that, we did not use technology much in my class.  I remember thinking that technology was very frustrating most of the time.  I disliked using excel tremendously.  I would rather plot the points myself and create a nice graph by hand.  I also found sitting in a computer lab boring and tedious.  Students would often try to go on the internet instead of doing the classwork and if I missed even a single a step of instruction when learning how to use a site or program I would feel completely behind and lost.  However, I did enjoy conducting research on the internet very much.  When internet first developed it was very useful.  Today, it is extremely cluttered and it can be very difficult to find valid, reliable internet sources unless you have access to legitimite online journal environments and search engines.  I think that the new technologies available today are capable of much more in terms of educational use than I experienced growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment